Wednesday, August 06, 2008

My bestfriend...

...freed me from my fears of failure tonight over tea and tiramisu...

Some notes:
  1. As of tonight I no longer believe in talent.
  2. If you do what you like to do, one inevitably becomes talented.
  3. It's silly to stop just because I suck at doing something on my third try because not I, and definitely not other people, not even experts can tell whether one has talent or not on the outset. The question to ask isn't whether or not I'm talented (and therefore should stop trying to play the piano, or learn Japanese, or write or draw...) but whether I am having fun doing it.
  4. There are fun things you do because it's fun and it doesn't matter whether you're good or not.
  5. There are fun things you do and you enjoy it more and more the better you get at it.
I felt so light and at peace with the world after tea and desserts...I've spent so many years worrying whether I have the talent to do what I love to do that it keeps me from doing those things. There is no way for me to know whether or not I have what it takes to succeed at what I want to do, but it doesn't matter because talent is no longer a prerequisite for desire.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home