Thursday, October 05, 2006

Cinderella Kicks Ass!

I just watched the film Ever After the one with Drew Barrymore and Angelica Huston. Skeptical I thought the film was going to be ultra cheese. I borrowed it to play on the background while I work, but it turned out to be good! It really redefines and expand the Cinderella mythology.

[WARNING SLIGHT PLOT SPOILER FOLLOWS]

For the first time in history Cinderella has a personality! Drew Barrymore is great as the spunky Danielle whom the film alludes to as the "real life story origin" of the fairytale. In Ever After Cinderella is well read and is a vocal civil rights advocate. She is a gal who takes matter into her own hands, and saves herself. There is no Fairy Godmother, no carriage of pumpkin, nor a speck of magic dust. The prince does not save Danielle, she saves the prince.

Angelica Huston plays a deliciously evil step mother. There is an AWESOME scene where both Cinderella and her stepmother crouches over Cinderella's father as he is dying. Suddenly the stepmother is seen not as a villain, but a human being who is jealous of her husband's love for his daughter. Of course there is a touch of Hollywood involved for in reality we could not possibly believe such a string of coincidences, but overall I was impressed!

Other redefinition of fairytale mythologies:
  1. The book:The Stinky Cheese Man by John Sciezska and Lane Smith.

  2. The musical: Into the Woods that was based on the book by James Lapine.

*Also on mythologies: Mythologies by Roland Barthes

1 Comments:

Blogger ToastyKen said...

Dude! You've never seen this movie? Yup! It was awesome.

I have nothing actually intelligent to add. :)

Thu Oct 05, 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home