Monday, September 11, 2006

Some Conflicting Emotions

... I have conflicting emotions about the Sept. 11th anniversary... On one hand I feel I should be feeling somber and grave about today being the fifth year anniversary of the terrorist attack on September 11th, 2001...but on the other hand I feel emotionally exhausted from all the anniversaries and doomsday atmosphere of the world. On another side of my emotional compass I feel angry because there are worst tragedies around the world and throughout history that are more tragic in both human casualty and circumstances that are not acknowledged (i.e. Native-American genocide, Guatemalan Civil War, MODERN DAY SLAVERY--sadly the list goes on)--so I am confused and frustrated...

I realize the fallacy in comparing one kind of human suffering with another... Yet the media does it all the time by choosing what to cover or ignore. But the human truth is that every kind of human suffering hurts the individual all the same whether you're Jewish or Lebanese.

...

In the meantime I've decided to express protest by attending Intersection of the Arts' opening of Terror? A show inspired by political and ethical issues in our Post-9/11 world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home